Saturday, June 6, 2009

Inaugural adderss

Welcome to my blog. This aim of this blog is to document my experience living and working in India - presently Andhra Pradesh. This concerns the personal, professional, political, and anything else I'm motivated to share.

For those who don't know me - although I'm sure most of you will - here is a short bio:
My name is Devin Peipert. I'm from Alton, IL - home of the Robert Wadlow, the world's tallest man, and the Piasa bird, a large flying monster that ate people until he was shot down into the Mississippi River with arrows. Generally, I'm excited about music, sustainable development, and personal relationships, not necessarily in that order. I'm currently a graduate student at Washington University studying international social and economic development. It is in this capacity that I'm now in India as a researcher. In a former life, I was a musician playing in indie rock bands around Illinois and St. Louis, MO. Between these lives, I studied philosophy - development ethics, political philosophy, and environmental philosophy, among other fun topics. I maintain an interest in the philosophy of well-being and development ethics, although I often still think philosophically about the environment and how it should or should not be managed by people.

I hope to keep this blog populated with writings and pictures about the projects I'm working on, the travels I undertake, current events of all stripes, and the more mundane parts of my everyday life. I'd further like to use this as a medium to keep up with old friends and family, but I'd also like to invite people I don't already know so that we can argue about things. Amartya Sen once said that he spends a lot of his free time arguing about things. Although I'll never do it as well as he does, I also like to argue.

Look forward to interacting with you.

4 comments:

  1. Devin,
    Stoked to find this. Scott and I were just talking a couple days ago about how awesome it would be if you kept a journal or blog that all of us back home could read about your adventures. Good luck with everything over there, have fun, enjoy the sunsets, and we'll be thinking about you. p.s. lots of pictures of the wildlife over there would be greatly appreciated, Scott says "especially some picures of some tigers or wicked big tarantulas."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devin,

    Thank you so much for including us on your mailing list. We really look forward to following your adventures.

    That back porch view is spectacular!

    From the Northwoods,

    Dot and Chip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Inaugural address is pretty rad. Your explanation of The Piasa Bird couldnt be written more matter of factly.

    This is my blog:
    www.mattliefanderson.blogspot.com
    It deals with Korea, but is not strictly a Korean blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, Matt. Look forward to hearing about your times in Korea, as well as the rest of Asia, which it appears you are ready to explore.

    ReplyDelete