Saturday, June 6, 2009

In Madapanapalle






























I am currently living in a small town (by Indian standards) in Andhra Pradesh called Madanapalle (MDP hereafter). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madanapalle It is famous in India for its cool climate, which is quite a luxury here. I was in Gujarat this time last year, and it was hotter than I could have imagined. In this regard, we have nice it here in MDP - evenings are quite cool actually.
The town is small, but it gets jammed-pack with autorickshaws, cars, bicycles, large delivery trucks, and bull carts, so it can seem hectic at times. Although there are new people passing in and out daily for many reasons, it is small enough to get to know the people you're living near by, and everyone has the niceness characteristic of small towns.
I'm sharing a very comfortable apartment with my roommate, Nishesh. Nishesh is also a student at Wash-U working on the same research project as myself. We've got a nice veranda that allows for watching beautiful sunsets, passers-by, and admiring the local fauna and flora. Above are a few photos I've snapped from our apartment.
Madanapalle is a fast growing small town. It was not long ago a village. So, it provides a really interesting opportunity to see rural India meet the fast- moving, faster-growing urban India.





No comments:

Post a Comment